Add Your Heading Text Here
Full of visual interest for a relaxed spirit, this design is most know for its uniqueness.There’s an art to creating this style seamlessly. Part of having a boho interior design home comes from understanding the roots of the style. A French word bohémien refers to a group of people (gypsies) who traveled from a region in the Czech Republic, Bohemia.
After gaining renewed popularity in the 60s and 70s, today bohemian is used as an adjective to describe qualities people of generations past inspired: carefree, unconventional, natural, traveled.
Translated into a bohemian interior, the style embraces elements like layered textures, vintage pieces, and natural finishes.
Here are my tips to knock this style out of the park:
- Start with a neutral base to create a solid foundation. – If you do go for a bright base tone, it may be too rich and you’re certain to find yourself bored quickly with a somewhat chaotic starting point. Warm and earthy tones make the perfect canvas, and opting for a neutral base allows you to pile up expressive color and pattern for the perfect mix without it being painfully overbearing and loud.
- Play with Pattern and bright colours – Go bold with artistic and bright pieces that pay a nod to being well travelled. Antique shops are your best friend for wordly trinkets and interesting pieces that catch the eye. From pinks, to purples, to oranges, and greens – jewel tones work particularly well with this design scheme. Deluxe tones create a comforting and relaxes space that’s exclusive to bohemian décor.
- Add Botanicals – Botanicals perpetuate a relaxed vibe and add dimension to a room. Plants also do double duty of purifying air while adding a pop of color without interfering too much with the rest of your design and confusing the eye.. From a simple woven hanging basket, to something more ornate and sculptural – a variety of different plants in different scales are an effective way in bringing interest and depth to your bohemian style.
- Low lying furniture – The closer to the floor you are, the closer you are to creating an authentic bohemian style house. Think low-backed sofas, scattered with plenty of plush, comfortable throw cushions, with neighboring poufs for extra seating. Scour local antique stores and markets (which are great for eclectic decor ideas on a budget) for comfortable, time-worn, and well loved furnishings to complete a smart bohemian style living room that’s perfect for entertaining.
- Layer and Accessorize artistically – Layer up on bohemian style decor decorative items and textiles; whether rugs, cushions, or throws, as bohemian style is all about layering. Layer one, two, or even three rugs in different styles and patterns for a rich statement. Go bold with artistic pieces which stand out and are less than ordinary.
- More is more – This design style isn’t about empty surfaces and blank spaces – the look is all about indulgent maximalism. Do inject personality throughout your bohemian home and be sure that everything you love and have collected over the years is prominently on display. Bohemian style is all about layering trinkets and treasures to tell a story. Everything should have place and a purpose, yet you don’t have to be rigid with placement.
If you’re like me and don’t love a bold colour palette, these tips can be incorporated in a more muted space. Let me know below if you love the Bohemian style and I hope these tips help you with your next design project.